Tuffin, Albert 1903 January 3rd Quidhampton
A Baby Fatally Scalded
The County Coroner, Mr. R. A. Wilson, held an inquest at the Mission Room, Quidhampton, on Saturday last, upon the body of Albert Tuffin, aged four months, the infant son of Rose Tuffin, a single woman, of Quidhampton, who died on December 25th from scalds received on the December 18th.
Rose Tuffin, mother of the deceased, stated that she lived with her widowed mother at Quidhampton. On Thursday the 18th ult., she was straining some boiling barley water from a saucepan into a large jug with a spoon. The jug and saucepan were on the table, and the baby was lying in a cradle close beside the table. Whilst straining the barley water witness thought her sleeve caught the handle of the saucepan, which was tipped over, the boiling contents falling upon the child. Witness’s mother, who was sitting reading in the room, screamed and took up the baby, whilst witness called for assistance. A doctor attended the child, but it died on Christmas day.
Bessie House, of Quidhampton, a neighbour of the last witness, stated that on December 18th she heard screams and heard someone in Mrs Tuffin’s house say, “My baby is scalded.” She went into the house, and undressed the child, and, after the doctor had sent some dressing, she attended to the scalds.
Mr R. T. Richmond, surgeon, practising at Wilton, said he saw this baby on the morning it was injured. It was suffering from burns on the right side of the neck, and on both forearms. The child recovered from the first shock of the accident, but later the wounds became septic, and it died from that cause. The mother carried out all the directions as to the child, which, when he first saw it, was a well nourished and well-cared for baby.
The jury returned a verdict of Accidental Death.