Hayter, William

Hayter, William          1889 July 6th

On Monday afternoon the City Coroner (Mr G Smith) held an inquest in the Board Room of the Infirmary touching the death of William Hayter, who was admitted into the institution on Friday morning with his throat cut and died on the following Sunday. Mr G Strong was chosen foreman of the jury.

Mary Hayter, widow of the deceased, was first called. She said that she lived at No 12, Griffin’s Court. Her husband was engaged on the London and South Western Railway as a coaler and was earning about 24s a week. On Wednesday he was peculiar, and she sent for Dr Kelland, and on the Friday morning she found him on the wc with his throat cut. She got him into the house with the assistance of her eldest boy, and sent the latter for Dr Kelland, by whose recommendation deceased was taken to the Infirmary. Dr Kelland had attended him for erysipelas. Her husband”s age was 44. He had frequently complained of pains in the head, but never threatened to make away with himself.

By the Foreman : There was a razor on the wc seat, with blood on it.

Charles Hayter, eldest son of deceased, said the last time he saw him alive was on Sunday morning. He assisted his mother in carrying in his father, and when they had got him in they discovered that he had cut his throat. His mother sent him for Dr Kelland. His father felt queer the previous Sunday, but did not suspend work until the following Wednesday, when he complained of his head. Dr Kelland saw him for the first time on Thursday.

Levi Stephenson Luckham, house surgeon at the Infirmary, said that on Friday morning last, about half-past six, he was called up to see deceased, who was brought to the Infirmary by Dr Kelland. On examination he found a wound in the throat, which had opened the upper part of the windpipe but had not cut the big vessels. He also found him to be suffering from erysipelas in the face and head. He had him removed to the infections hut, but he died on Sunday morning from the effects from the cuts and disease. In his opinion erysipelas caused the delirium during which he inflicted the wound.

By a Juror : He was conscious when brought to the Institution, but he could not give any reason for the act. All he could say was “yes.”

The jury returned a verdict to the effect that deceased committed suicide whilst in a state of unsound mind.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s