Redman, William

Redman, William         1887 February 12th            Romsey

On Saturday an elderly man, named William Redman, who was formerly a higgler, committed suicide by hanging himself in his bedroom. In November last Redman was ordered to be confined in the County Lunatic Asylum on a charge of attempting to murder a grandchild. About three weeks ago his wife brought him home again, and he has been living with his family in Banning Street.

An inquest was held at the Angel Inn, on Monday, before Mr Bernard Harfield, County Coroner.

Ellen Wort, widow, living in Banning Street, said deceased was her father. He was 64 years of age, and she last saw him alive on Saturday afternoon, about one o’clock, when she took him his dinner. He seemed much as usual, and said he did not want what she took him, but she left it on the chair. Deceased was in bed at the time, and about two o’clock witness went to the room again with her mother. They could not see him in bed, but they found him at the bottom of the bed, apparently sitting down. He made no answer when called, and on examination they found a piece of sheeting tied round his neck and attached to the bed. They broke the sheeting and found that deceased was dead. Dr Buckell was sent for, and he came in about a quarter of an hour. Deceased had been confined in a lunatic asylum for about three months, and came out on January 27th. He seemed very quiet since his return, and witness had never heard him threaten to commit suicide. Her brother, Thomas Redman, received him out of the asylum, but she could not say if he received any instruction as to treatment. The piece of sheeting was from one of the sheets of the bed.

Jane Redman, deceased’s widow, gave similar evidence as to the discovery. When Dr Buckell arrived he said deceased was dead, and that he was not surprised at it, as he was not responsible for what he did. Deceased was released from the asylum at her son’s request. She had not actually heard him say that he would commit suicide, but from observations he had made to himself she would not have been surprised if he done away with himself before, had a chance offered. Deceased was carefully watched, and everything was removed from his bedroom with which they thought he could possibly injure himself.

Thomas Redman, the son, said he had decided to get deceased out of the asylum if possible, as they were afraid he would starve himself, and he had got weak and harmless. Dr Worthington, superintendent of the asylum, told him his father was suicidal, and should be carefully watched, or words to that effect.

The jury, of which Mr Thomas Fryer was foreman, returned a verdict that deceased hanged himself whilst in an unsound state of mind.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s