Ilsley, John

Ilsley, John          1887 April 16th

On Tuesday afternoon an inquest was held at the Council House, before Mr G Smith, touching the death of Mr John Ilsley, gunsmith, of 18, Queen-street, who died suddenly on the morning of Easter Monday. Mr William Wyatt was foreman of the jury.

Mr H Coates said he was called on Monday about five minutes to seven to see the deceased. He arrived at seven o’clock and Mr Ilsley was then dead. He attended him professionally about two years and a half ago, at which time he was suffering from angina pectoris. He went into his shop sometimes and on those occasions inquired about his health, when the deceased told him that he suffered from the old complaint. Witness cautioned him against making a hearty supper. He attributed death to angina pectoris.

Mrs Ilsley, widow of the deceased, said that she thought the latter was 53 last February. He had had very bad health. He was very reticent with regard to his pains. He had violent pains in the chest and back. Witness believed that he was attended by Dr F Coates since being attended by Mr H Coates. That was, she thought, about two years ago. On the night preceding his death he had pain, and clenched his fingers, but notwithstanding that he made arrangements to go on an excursion on Easter Monday. He was going to Reading, his native place, and witness was going with him. He went to bed about half past ten. He had supper about nine, taking some brown bread, cold roast mutton, lemon water and rather more than a teaspoonful of brandy. He had made a very poor dinner and ate heartily at supper, being very hungry. Before he got into bed he had a very bad attack – contraction of his arms. At about half past six on the following morning he got out of bed to prepare for his journey to Reading, but had an attack and was in such agonies that witness used the flesh brush on him. He sat on the side of the bed. Seeing a change in him she went for aid, and when she got back deceased had slipped to the ground. Mr Darke and Miss White came, but death had taken place before the former arrived. Whilst witness was brushing the deceased he did not speak beyond uttering witness’s name. Witness was not aroused before half past six on the morning. She had been accustomed to rub the deceased with the flesh brush. Deceased thought that he suffered from indigestion and that the blood did not circulate. He did not complain of indigestion on the morning on which he died.

A verdict of death from natural causes was returned.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s