Ashford, Louisa 1886 November 27th
This (Friday) morning an inquest was held at the Infirmary by Mr G Smith (coroner) and a jury, of whom Mr Samuel Jones was chosen foreman, on the body of Louisa Ashford, two months old, who was scalded on Thursday, November 18th.
Sarah Ashford, the mother of the child, who was much affected and was accommodated with a chair, said she lived in St Edmund’s Church Street. Her husband was a fruiterer. On Thursday morning, between eleven and twelve o’clock, she placed the child in the cradle close by the side of the fire immediately after she had dressed it. She had taken off its nightdress and put the child in that position to avoid it catching cold. At the time she was washing some dishes and using hot water from a kettle on the fire for the purpose. She forgot the child was so close to the fire, and accidentally threw some hot water over its face. She immediately applied linseed oil and then took it to Dr Gordon’s residence, where she saw the assistant. He directed her to apply linseed oil and lime-water, which she did. Dr Gordon saw the child the same evening and pursued the same treatment. On the following Monday morning, at about ten o’clock, she brought the child to the Infirmary.
Mr L S Luckham, house surgeon at the Infirmary, said he examined the child and found it suffering from a severe scald on the face, head and neck. The next day the child was a little better, but on the following day it was worse, and died on Thursday from exhaustion caused by the pain and discharge consequent on the burn.
The jury returned a verdict of “Accidental death.”