Cheales, William

Cheales, William        1883 April 7th        Andover

An inquest was held at Andover on Monday as to the death of Mr W B Cheales, who lost his life in the fire at Enham House. The deceased arrived on Wednesday evening from Malta, and after he had retired to rest the servants were alarmed by loud explosions in his bedroom, caused by cartridges and gunpowder, which were in a cupboard. On going to the room they found it full of flames and smoke, and were unable to enter. They heard Mr Cheales groaning, and after the building had been burnt to the ground his remains were found in the ruins. A verdict as returned that the deceased came by his death by burning, but that there was no evidence to show how the fire was caused.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s