Young, William

Young, William         1881 April 16th

On Monday morning Mr William Young was discovered dead in his bed. The information of the sad event was received with much regret, for Mr Young, who had been for a considerable period clerk in the probate office, was held in great esteem and respect by a large number of friends. The inquest on the body was held by Mr G Smith (city coroner) and a jury (of whom Mr T Harman was foreman) at the “White Hart” hotel, on Tuesday afternoon.

The first witness examined was Dr F W Coates, who stated that at about half-past seven on the previous morning he was sent for to see the deceased. On arriving at his house in the Close, he discovered him to dead. He had not visited him previously. From enquiries, he was able to form an opinion as to the cause of death, though unable decidedly to assign a specific cause. Death, he should say, resulted either from disease of the heart or of the large artery close to the heart. Mr Young had an aneurism behind the left orbit of the left eye, which indicated that he suffered from degeneration of the arteries generally. This condition was often associated with disease of the large vessels close to the heart. The symptoms immediately before death were severe pain in the left side followed by syncope. He had been informed that five years ago Mrs Young was warned by her medical officer that he (Mr Young) might die at any moment.

James Kellow, the Close porter, deposed that he had been well acquainted with the deceased. He saw him last alive on Sunday evening at about half-past seven o’clock, when he held a short conversation with him outside his (deceased’s) house. He appeared then in is ordinary state of health, but, during their talk, he said he was not very well and suffered from a severe pain in his stomach.

Mr Joseph Thomas Young, a brother of the deceased, deposed that he last saw his brother alive on Sunday evening at about half-past nine. He then appeared quite cheerful, but he remarked, in a conversation, that he had had a bilious attack and he had taken a pill and thought of taking another. He (witness) did not think his brother had had any medical advice for the last two or three years; but he knew that he had been subject to bilious attacks. His age was 39 years last January.

The Coroner, in referring to the evidence, said that a verdict of “Death from Heart Disease” would be consistent with death resulting either from the direct disease of the heart or of the large artery. A verdict in accordance with the medical testimony was returned.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s