Chew, Alfred

Chew, Alfred            1880 November 20th

An inquest was held by Mr G Smith (city coroner), at the “London” inn, Fisherton, on Saturday afternoon, on the body of Alfred Edward Chew, who died at the house of Mr Argent T Clissold on the previous evening, under circumstances which were detailed in the evidence adduced. Mr W Wells was foreman of the jury.

Argent Thomas Clissold was the first witness. He said he resided at 1, Nadder-road, Fisherton, and was a fitter in the employ of the Gas Company. He had known the deceased, who was 61 or 62 years old, and had of recent years been in the employ of Dr Finch, from childhood, and, consequently, they were very friendly. On Friday evening, at about a quarter to seven, deceased came to his house with the intention of first attending to a watch which was somewhat out of order {witness explained that both he and deceased had a slight knowledge of the working of watches}, and then going for a walk. He (witness) was unlacing his boots preparatory to putting on ihs slippers, when he saw deceased slipping from the chair, and, he making no response to the interrogatory as to what was the matter, he (witness) caught him in his arms. He then called his son, and desired him to fetch some water. He complied, and bathed the deceased with it. Next a Mrs King was fetched, and, subsequently, deceased’s son, at whose request Mr Fawson Lee was soon in attendance. Deceased did not, however, immediately expire, and, in fact, was alive when the doctor arrived. Witness did not think the deceased had enjoyed the best of health of late; he had often said he did not feel well. The death of his wife, which occurred quite recently, had been taken very much to heart by him, and he had appeared very much depressed in consequence.

Theophilus Clissold, son of the last witness, and who is a lamp-lighter in the employ of the Gas Company, corroborated the evidence of his father.

Mr Frederick Fawson Lee deposed that he was called in to see the deceased between half past seven and eight o’clock on the previous evening. When he arrived at Mr Clissold’s house he found the deceased alive, but evidently in a dying state. He had never attended him before, though he had attended members of his family. Deceased was insensible when he saw him, and he apparently gave no sign, or movement or even struggle. Death, he was of opinion, arose from an apoplectic attack; and there was not the slightest reason to suppose it arose from other than natural causes.

The jury returned a verdict in accordance with this testimony.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s