Collins, Enoch

Collins, Enoch            1877 January 13th

On Saturday last an inquest was held at the Infirmary, before the city coroner, Mr G Smith, on the body of Enoch Collins, who died on Friday night from the effects of an accident on the previous day.

Dr Horn, house surgeon at the Infirmary, was sworn, and said the deceased was admitted on Thursday night about nine o’clock. He examined him, and found a fracture of the collar bone. Three or four ribs on the left side were also fractured, and they had apparently been driven into the lungs. The deceased was suffering very severely from the shock, and was quite insensible. He was put to bed, witness treated him, and in about half-an-hour he came round so as to be able to speak a little. On the following morning he told witness he was driving a waggon, the horses kicked him, and he fell between the shafts. That was all he told him, and witness didn’t press him further, because it caused him great pain to speak. His breathing was very difficult from the time he was admitted, and he had no doubt the injuries he received caused his death, which took place about half past 11 on Friday night. He told witness he was a coal porter residing in the parish of St Martin, and was 45 years of age.

John Jerred, brush-turner, residing at 184, Castle-street, said he was in the street about quarter past eight on Thursday night, and heard a waggon going by. The waggon suddenly made a stop, and witness looked out and saw the deceased on the shafts. He saw the horse slip up just against Mr Brown’s, and went to the deceased’s assistance. When he arrived on the spot he found that the horse had broken the shafts and gone down the street, leaving the waggon behind. The deceased had been taken into Mr Manner’s house, and witness followed. He conversed with him and asked if he was sitting on the shafts, to which he replied that he was not, but was sitting on the head board of the waggon when the shafts became disengaged, and he fell with them. He helped put deceased into a waggon, for him to be conveyed to the Infirmary.

Someone in the room said it was thought there was lightning that night, which was the cause of the accident.

John Raikes, employed at Mr Martin’s soda water manufactory, Castle-street, said he was at 190, Castle-street between 8 and 9 on Thursday evening, when he heard a sudden crash. He went out directly and saw the horse had run away. He thought of catching it, but when he got a little farther he saw the man lying on the pavements. He didn’t seem sensible and witness assisted to put him into a chair. Directly he was taken into Mr Manner’s house witness went for Dr Gordon, who came, and he believed his assistant came with him. They said he was to go to the Infirmary, and he went directly and put Mr Martin’s horse into the van, into which he helped lift the deceased. Mr Martin drove deceased to the Infirmary, and witness accompanied him.

Ishmael Williams, 25, Penny-farthing-street, identified the deceased as his brother-in-law, and said he resided in Trinity-street. He was a widower, and left five children.

A verdict of “Accidental Death” was returned, and the jury and witnesses gave their fees to the children of the deceased, the foreman of the jury (Mr R Hall) also adding another half-crown.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s