Munday, Alfred

Munday, Alfred               1876 October 21st

Yesterday afternoon an inquest was held at the “White Hart Hotel,” before the City Coroner, Mr G Smith, on the body of Alfred William Munday, who died suddenly in Catherine-street yesterday morning.

The first witness called was Frederick William Coates, who said he was a medical practitioner residing in Salisbury, and was called that day to see the deceased. When he saw him he was quite dead on the pavement in Catherine-street, and judging from his appearance and the circumstances of the case he was of opinion that death resulted from apoplexy, but he had never attended the deceased when alive, and it was quite impossible to say positively what the cause of death was without making a post mortem.

George Marlow, butcher, who was the next witness, said he was passing along Catherine-street between 12 and 1 o’clock, and the deceased, who came into Catherine-street from New-street, almost fell into his lap, so to speak. He picked him up from the ground and helped to take him to the “White Hart.” He didn’t speak at all, and his eyes were fixed. Witness undid his collar, and sent for two doctors, and Dr Coates arrived shortly afterwards – only three or four minutes after the fall. Those at the “White Hart” did everything they could for him.

G Bracher, foreman of the “Anchor Brewery,” said the deceased was his brother-in-law, and he last saw him alive about ten minutes to seven Thursday evening, when he appeared to be in his usual health, and was quite cheerful. Deceased had complained to him occasionally of indigestion, and for the last three days had complained at home of being unwell. He believed he called upon Dr Lee, his medical advisor, for advice that morning, but he was not at home. Lately he had not been sufficiently ill to have medical advice. He recognised the deceased as his brother-in-law, who was 61 his last birthday, and lived in Fisherton Anger. He had no occupation.

This made the whole of the evidence, and the Coroner made a few remarks in which he said that if they required the attendance of Mr Lee to corroborate the evidence given by Dr Coates they would send for him, and if not at home they would adjourn the inquest.

The jury, however, thought there was no necessity to have the attendance of Mr Lee, and returned a verdict of “Death from Apoplexy.” They gave their fees in aid of the Salisbury Infirmary.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s