Lodge, Charles

Lodge, Charles         1876 September 16th

On Saturday afternoon last an inquest was held at the “Plume of Feathers,” Fisherton, before the City Coroner, Mr G Smith, on the body of Charles Lodge, who died on the previous afternoon from heart disease.

Frederick Charles Bennett, who was the first witness called, said he was a medical practitioner residing in Salisbury, and about 3 o’clock on Friday afternoon he was called to see the deceased, whom he found lying on the couch quite dead, the only mark of violence he saw being one on the upper lip. Deceased must have fallen on a tooth that projected, and it must have gone through his lip. He had attended him for two or three years for heart disease, but hadn’t seen him for the last twelvemonth. He didn’t think he had been dead more than an hour and a half or two hours when he was called in on Friday, and his opinion was that death resulted from heart disease, but whether he had any excitement to cause it he couldn’t say.

Clara Lodge said the deceased was her husband, and resided at 44, West-street, Fisherton. About five minutes after two o’clock on Friday afternoon at his request she left home to go to the carrier’s, and on that day (which was his 66th birthday) he appeared better than he had been for the last two months. When she left the house he was seated in a little chair in front of his bench at his usual occupation as a shoemaker. She was absent about three-quarters of an hour, and on her return she found he had fallen forward over the bench, and was quite dead. She directly sent for Mr Bennett to come immediately, which he did, and pronounced him quite dead.

She was aware her husband had been suffering from heart disease, because both Dr Darke and Dr Wilkes told her so. About six weeks ago he was very poorly, and she went to Dr Bennett’s, but he was not at home, and when she got back her husband felt very much excited, and she said, “Father, if you put on your coat and go with me to Mr Darke, perhaps he will give you something.” He did so, and Mr Darke gave him some medicine, but after they had left he called her back and told her her husband was suffering from very bad heart disease and a sluggish liver. He was not excited on Friday morning, but was more calm than he had been at all.

Samuel Picket, a rope and twine maker living at 38, Trinity-street, said his manufactory was close to the house occupied by the deceased, and on Friday Mrs Lodge called him to her assistance, but when he got to the house he found the deceased quite dead. Apparently he had tried to get up from his seat, and fell over the bench, and he thought that in falling one of the tools might have touched him, as his lip was bleeding when he took him up. He didn’t think he had been dead five minutes when he first saw him, as the body was quite warm.

Verdict :– Visitation of God.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s