Dunn, William

Dunn, William         1875 August 1st

On Wednesday morning, Mr G Smith, coroner, held an inquest at the Salisbury Infirmary on the body of William Dunn who died there on Monday afternoon. The coroner and eleven of the jury were delayed about twenty minutes owing to the absence of the twelfth juryman, and he apologised for having mistaken the time, but he was informed that similar neglect in the future would be punished with a fine. The following evidence was then adduced.

Dr Blackmore said : I am one of the physicians to the Infirmary, and on the admission of the deceased on Monday, I was sent for to see him. He was lying in bed, quite unconscious, breathing very heavily, the pupil of the right eye was largely dilated, and that of the left was contracted. These symptoms indicated that a large blood vessel in the brain had given way on the right side. In my opinion that was the cause of death and it resulted from natural causes. He lived about two hours and a half after I saw him; I saw him at 2 o’clock and he died at half past four.

John Wheeler, of the George Inn, Amesbury, said: On Monday I hired the deceased to drive a party to Wilton Park. He was driving a pair of horses and the first I noticed was that this side of the railway arch he drove on the path close to the hedges. I called out to him when he seemed to go on right until we got opposite Mr Marlow’s in Castle-street, when he was going to drive into the window. We then noticed something wrong, and finding him partly insensible, lifted him from the seat into the break afterwards and gave him some brandy. We had his head bathed with vinegar, and then brought him to the Infirmary which we reached about half past eleven.

Alfred Truckle said : I am a coachman to Mr Sargeant, of Amesbury, and I was one of the party and was riding on the box. The deceased complained two or three times on the road that his head ached. I corroborate what the last witness has said.

Jane Dunn, the widow of the deceased, identified the body and said he was in his 63rd year. He had suffered a great deal in his head, and last Friday or Saturday he appeared so drowsy that she spoke to him about it. He had been laid up a great deal lately with rheumatism. She had never known him to have fits. On Monday when he left he seemed as cheerful as usual.

The jury returned a verdict of death from natural causes.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s