Wild, Charles

Wild, Charles         1874 December 5th                 Mottisfont

On Wednesday evening last an inquest was held at the Salisbury General Infirmary, before Dr Young, the city coroner, and a jury of whom Mr William Sims was foreman, relative to the death of Charles Wild, a woodman, of Mottisfont, Hants, who succumbed the preceding evening to the effects of an accident which occurred to him some months ago.

Mr Moses Biggs, the house surgeon, said the deceased was admitted on the 25th July last, suffering from an incised wound over the right knee about four inches in length. The injury had been then done about a month. There was some swelling of the joint, and for some months he went on well. Some weeks ago he was evidently getting worse, and after a consultation the leg was amputated at the knee on Thursday, the 26th ult. He rallied and went on well again until half past two that (Wednesday) morning, when witness found him suffering from syncope, and he died shortly after three o’clock.

A post mortem examination disclosed nothing to account for death, with the exception that there was some disease of the kidneys. The cause of death was syncope (fainting) resulting from the effect which the accident had had upon his general health. Deceased said the accident occurred to him when he was out cutting wood, the hook he was using having slipped aside and cut his knee. He said also that he walked a couple of miles after that occurrence. The wound extended into the joint.

Mrs Harriett Rogers said the deceased, who was a single man, about forty-five years of age, and her brother, had lodged with her about seven years. On the 26th of June last, he was working in the woods, fagotting. When he came home on that day he said he had cut his leg with the hook he was using. He seemed to have lost very little blood, and he did not at first regard the accident as anything very serious. He was put to bed, and Dr Fox was sent for, who did not come until next morning, when he said it was a very bad cut, and sewed up the wound and dressed it. Deceased was in bed for a fortnight, and soon after he got and began to go about the wound became very bad again, and he went into the Infirmary. Deceased was a sober man, and was so at the time of the accident.

The Coroner having pointed out the straightforward and simple facts of the case, and that the inquest was held in accordance with a legal provision the purpose of which was to render it next to impossible for any culpable conduct to escape detection,

The jury recorded a verdict to the effect that death was the result of an accident.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s