Whitlock, Allen

Whitlock, Allen          1874 August 15th         Pitton

On Wednesday afternoon, an inquest was held at the Infirmary, in this city, before Dr T Young, coroner, and a jury, of which Mr William H Froem was foreman, to inquire into the circumstances of the death of Allen Whitlock, labourer, who died in the institution on that day.

George Golding said his brothers and he farmed the Dog Kennel Farm, at Pitton, in the parish of Clarendon. Deceased had worked for them for about six weeks past. He was a labourer, between 50 and 60 years of age. Witness remembered the accident happening on the 25th of July. They were engaged on that day in loading straw in the rick-yard. Witness wanted deceased to lower himself from the rick. He refused to do this. He put the load on to the cart, and then got on to the top of it from the rick. Witness told him to hold on fast as he was going to move the cart, and deceased replied, “All right.”

After he had moved the cart a little, he turned round and told deceased he was going to move a little farther, when he replied, “And I am going too.” He then fell from the cart on to the ground. Witness jumped back directly, as he thought deceased had broken his neck. He was sensible, but blood was coming out of his nose and mouth. Witness asked him if he had hurt himself very much, and deceased said he would be all right presently. He got some water and washed his face, and said he had better be taken to the Infirmary. Deceased did not seem inclined to go, and said, “Wait a bit, I will be better presently.” That was at about half past eleven in the morning, and at one o’clock witness said he must go somewhere, as he was complaining so much about his leg.

He was then brought to the Infirmary by witness, who gave him some ale at his request. Deceased never said anything about the accident. He was quite sober, and had not had a pint of beer for two or three days that witness knew of. Had never seen him the worse for beer, but did not think him exactly right in his mind. Was sure that deceased fell off the waggon accidentally, and was also quite sure that the horse was not driven hastily. Deceased had never been in the Lunatic Asylum.

Dr M Biggs, medical officer at the Infirmary, said deceased was brought to that institution on the 25th of July. He did not appear to be very much hurt, but simply bruised about the face. In a few days he lost the power of his legs, and had retention of urine. He gradually got worse and died that morning. Witness made a post mortem examination of the body, and found a fracture of the orbit plate of the frontal bone. He considered the cause of death to be injury to the spine, and the shock of the accident. He was quite satisfied that the man’s death resulted from the accident alone.

The jury returned a verdict of “Accidental Death.”


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s